Growing a marijuana plant isn’t just about getting equipment like grow tents and grow lights and setting them up together. There’s a big difference between just growing a plant and maintaining the plant’s growth. Growing a plant requires a lot of time, effort and patience – and growers need to be observant enough to know that their plant needs maintenance from time to time. Trimming is one such process which helps your plants grow better. However, you shouldn’t use just any plain old scissors, unless it’s a last resort. Bud trimming scissors will get the job done much more quickly and efficiently
While it does not directly increase the growth or the overall yield of your plant, trimming still needs to be done from time to time for the overall welfare of the marijuana plant that you are growing. Over the course of this article, we shall be reviewing the 7 best bud trimming scissors for marijuana plants. We’ll take a detailed look at what trimming is, the different ways in which it can be done, and everything you need to consider before you buy scissors for trimming weed. Towards the end, we will also be answering some frequently asked questions about trimming marijuana plants before we conclude! By the time you reach the conclusion, we hope that you would have a much better idea about what the best trimming scissors are and why you need to trim your marijuana plants regularly!
WHAT IS TRIMMING AND WHY SHOULD YOU TRIM YOUR MARIJUANA PLANTS WITH WEED TRIMMING SHEARS?
When you trim your marijuana plants with marijuana trimming scissors, your goal should be to only trim off small portions of your marijuana plants, especially those that are getting a little too dense. In the simplest of terms, you can think of it as a manicure for your marijuana plant. It only needs to be done from time to time. Many growers think that trimming is a one-and-done process and should only be done a couple of weeks before the harvest. However, you need to trim your plant regularly with quality cannabis trimming scissors in order to ensure you get even growth. There are a number of benefits of trimming your plant. Here’s a look at them in detail:
- First off, trimming improves the overall visual appeal of your marijuana plant. It’s a small thing but, for many growers, how their plants look matters a lot. Trimming your plants with pot trimming scissors will ensure that you are getting a good-looking plant at the end of the season.
- Trimming also ensures that any excess weight is removed off the stems and the branches and that the plant is not over-burdened under its own weight!
- Trimming also helps you properly balance the nutrients in the marijuana plant. If you trim off the portions that aren’t necessary, like dry or infected branches, you will ensure that the rest of the plant will get more nutrients because the nutrients won’t be going to the bad portions anymore.
- Trimming with flower trimming scissors helps growers see the entire plant properly, especially during late-vegetative stages when the growth tends to get very dense. This allows growers to look for any infections or diseases that the plants might have acquired.
- In addition to these benefits, trimming your plant with bud trimming shears is also a great way to ensure that the lower portions of your plants are getting adequate light. If the upper or the middle portions get thicker, they block the lower portions from getting access to light, thereby leading to slower growth in these areas.
These are all of the primary reasons why you should be trimming your marijuana plants with marijuana scissors. However, it’s not enough to get the right scissors. If you want trimming to be as smooth as possible, you’ll want to get the best bud trimming scissors.
7 Best Bud Trimming Scissors for Trimming Marijuana Plants in 2021
1. VIVOSUN 2-PACK GARDENING HAND PRUNER AND WEED CUTTING SCISSORS
Perhaps the most popular brand on this list for cannabis trimming shears, most people who grow marijuana know that Vivosun is among the finest names in the world of growing weed. The company makes grow tents, grow lights, and a number of other growing equipment that helps growers grow good weed indoors. The company also makes some of the best trim scissors for weed that allow you to easily trim around buds. When you order this option, you get a pack of two, which will last you for quite some time. These curved bud trimming scissors feature durable curved blades that are incredibly effective at trimming off thicker branches. There’s also a spring-loaded in the center of each pair, which means less work for your hands while you’re trying to trim the buds.
The blades are made out of stainless steel and are pretty sharp. Growers are advised to handle these scissors with caution and hold them only by the handles because the blades might nick them! The blades of these cannabis trimming scissors are also coated with titanium to give them that extra bit of strength. All in all, this option is the perfect package, priced at just under $10 for two scissors. The scissors also have a lock in the center which keeps the scissors clamped shut while they’re not in use. The handle is also pretty ergonomic and has a no-slip design, providing growers with a good grip.
2. FISKARS 399241-1002 MICRO-TIP PRUNING SNIPS AND TRIMMING SCISSORS FOR WEED
For those who are looking for one of the best bud trimming scissors for marijuana plants, this product from Fiskars is something that you should totally consider! The company has a number of other similar products too, but these trimming shears for weed really stand out, mainly because of their design! The orange and black color combination gives it a rather classy look that pops. These weed trimming scissors are quite comfortable to use and have even been certified by the Arthritis Foundation for their ease of use. Even those with a limited hand strength can operate these marijuana trimming scissors with ease.
There’s a non-stick coating on the blades which keeps them from jamming up. This coating is also particularly useful while cutting and pruning marijuana plants and buds because there tend to be many sticky areas! These weed cutting scissors are also pretty sharp and help you cut through the stems and branches with ease without putting stress on your hands! The company promises a ‘full lifetime warranty’. You can get all of this for less than $20, which is a great deal for growers who want to buy the best bud trimming scissors for their marijuana plants and buds.
3. FISKARS STEEL BYPASS PRUNING SHEARS AND BUD TRIMMING SCISSORS (91095935J)
Fiskars makes it onto the list once again! The company makes some of the best scissors for trimming bud, and these pot trimming scissors are another great example. These bud trimming shears from Fiskars are the perfect tool that you need to snip branches and stems off your marijuana plant. They’re made with an easy-open lock which helps ensure that the blade remains closed when it’s not in use so it doesn’t accidentally hurt people. The blade is fully hardened and precision-ground, which keeps it strong even after heavy use. These pruning shears are also comfortable to hold and provide you with a good grip as well.
Another great thing about these pot trimming scissors is that it comes with a low-friction coating which allows them to glide through stems and branches with relative ease. Furthermore, the coating helps ensure that nothing sticks to the body of the blades and causes them to function slowly or stick together. Fiskars also offers a lifetime warranty on their products, making this option fall into our list of the best scissors for trimming weed. The manufacturer claims that it can cut up to ⅝ inches in diameter, which is pretty impressive and quite helpful for those who are looking forward to pruning their marijuana plants and trimming their buds with bud trimming scissors.
4. GONICC 8″ PROFESSIONAL PREMIUM TITANIUM BYPASS PRUNING SHEARS AND SCISSORS FOR WEED
If you are a grower who is looking for the best scissors for trimming weed, you might want to consider these pruning shears from Gonicc. These 8-inch shears come with a drop forged body and handles. They have an ultra smooth finish along with a pretty good grip. The most noticeable thing about these weed trimming scissors is that the blades are made out of premium titanium steel crafted with ‘ultra-polished technology,’ which ensures that they remain sharp for a long time. When you’re looking for the best weed trimming scissors, these should definitely be on your list.
The handles of these bud trimming scissors are pretty strong and feature non-slip technology, which makes them lightweight and comfortable to hold. The blades also feature a sap groove design, which helps ensure that the shears don’t get stuck to any sap. The manufacturer claims that these cannabis trimming scissors can help you cut through a diameter of ¾ inches, but this figure may vary from branch to branch and how thick and strong they are. Nonetheless, this is one of the best trim scissors for those who are looking forward to trimming their marijuana plants while they are growing!
5. GROW1 TITANIUM COATED CURVED BLADE TRIMMING SCISSORS FOR WEED
For anyone who is looking for the best scissors for trimming cannabis that are very effective at chopping off branches and stems, these flower trimming scissors from GROW1 are just the right choice. This product features curved trimming blades that make it easier to trim harder branches and stems. The blades also don’t stick to sap easily. The micro-blades are made out of titanium and stainless steel, which is a combination which makes them strong enough to snip through even some of the hardest branches or sticky buds with relative ease.
The overall body of these trimming scissors for weed is pretty standard, and growers find the scissors easy to operate without stressing their hands too much. There’s a spring in the center, which helps take some pressure off your hands. These marijuana trimming scissors also have a lock in the center which will help make sure that the scissors remain snapped shut when they’re not in use so they don’t damage anything. Even though these scissors are some of the best cannabis trimming scissors on the market, they’re available for a pretty standard price at just under $10. This product is a good option for those who want to get hold of the best bud trimming scissors for trimming their marijuana plants!
6. HAPPY HYDRO – SCISSORS FOR TRIMMING WEED – STRAIGHT TIP – TITANIUM COATED BLADES
Happy Hydro’s trimming scissors are another great option for growers who want to buy a strong, well-performing, and easy to use pair of bud trimming scissors. You can buy them in a pack of 1, 2, or 4 depending on your needs. Buying a single pair will cost you less than $7. These weed trimming scissors have titanium-coated blades, but growers can also get teflon-coated blades if they want. The titanium coating adds to the overall strength of the blades and helps make sure that they can trim through even the thickest branches of marijuana plants with ease.
These Happy Hydro cannabis trimming scissors are also equipped with a comfort grip handle, which makes it easier to hold them firmly and chop through branches with relative ease. The blades are straight (not curved) and are very sharp, which is a good quality to have in pruning scissors. However, you must be careful around them since they are also incredibly sharp! Titanium is also naturally resistant to corrosion. The spring in these bud trimming shears helps the blades open and also closes them smoothly. There’s also a lock in the center for added safety.
7. GREENTHUMBPRO HYDROPONIC 60MM/40MM 2 PACK PRUNING SHEARS AND SCISSORS FOR WEED
Last but not the least, Greenthumbpro’s hydroponic 2-pack scissors for trimming weed are a great option for growers who want to get some basic and old-fashioned weed cutting scissors in two different sizes. There’s no spring in between, but the design still minimizes stress on the hands. These marijuana scissors are pretty much a day-to-day scissor that you use in your day-to-day life, and they’re made just for pruning. This makes these scissors the best trimming scissors for weed for those who prefer using good old-fashioned equipment to chop off their stems and branches.
Buyer’s Guide: What to Look For Before You Buy Scissors For Weed
- Size – The size of your marijunana trimming scissors need to be just right. Getting small scissors for a big plant or big scissors for a small plant might be uncomfortable to work with, and you might end up cutting up something other than what you were originally planning to! Some of the best shears for trimming weed even come in a combo pack with different sizes!
- Grip: The weed trimming scissors that you buy need to provide you with a proper grip as well. There are many options that are designed with springs to give you a proper gripping experience as well as a smoother cut.
- Sharpness: Bud trimming scissors need to be sharp, especially when you’re cutting branches and stems. Sometimes, if the branch is too thick, you might need to use electric scissors for trimming buds to cut it. However, for most marijuana plant trimming, all you will need is a pair of strong bud trimming scissors that are sharp enough to cut through weed plant branches.
- Blade Type: The type of blade that you use also matters a lot! Some blades are curved, others are straight-up and pointy, and a few are made with different metal alloys to make them extra strong. Make sure to check for the type of blade you’re getting when you’re looking for the best trimming scissors for weed.
- Price: Last but not the least, price might not always be your main concern, but some electric scissors for trimming weed do cost quite a bit, so you might want to check out the price before you buy scissors for trimming marijuana.
How Do I Trim Marijuana Buds? Best Tips for Trimming Marijuana With Cannabis Trimming Scissors:
Here are some of the best and most useful tips when it comes to trimming the buds of the marijuana plants which every grower must know about!
- Always trim using the tips of the scissors and never the sides. This will ensure that a majority of the body of your scissors remains clean. Moreover, trimming using the tips also gives you a fairly better accuracy than compared to trimming using other portions as they are broader.
- Make sure you’re looking out for trichrome content – as that is the part you want to save. Trichrome content is where the real magic is at and the parts you are trimming out are low on that. Parts such as pistils, which do not carry any trichrome content, should also be trimmed out (unless you want to keep them for better aesthetics).
- After you’ve trimmed off the portions you do not require, do not straightaway throw them because they might carry some amount of cannabinoid (CBD) content which is useful for preparing edibles and tinctures! Make use of the trimmed portion wisely to get the most out of it.
- Once your buds are trimmed, store them in an airtight container or a pop top jar to ensure that they remain fresh for a long time. Air and moisture are two reasons as to why buds lose their freshness. This way you will be able to use them for a really long time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Trimming Marijuana Plants
Here are some of the best and most useful tips when it comes to trimming the buds of your marijuana plants!
- Always trim using the tips of your marijuana trimming scissors and never the sides. This will ensure that the body of your pot trimming scissors remains clean. Moreover, using only the tips gives you even better accuracy compared to trimming with the broader portions.
- Make sure you’re looking out for “trichrome content.” For those who don’t know, this is the part you want to save. Trichrome content is where the real magic is at. Parts like pistils–which do not carry any trichrome content– can be trimmed out (unless you want to keep them for better aesthetics).
- After you’ve trimmed off the portions you do not need with your marijuana trimming scissors, do not throw them away immediately. They might carry some amount of cannabinoid (CBD), which is useful for preparing edibles and tinctures! Make use of the trimmed portion wisely to get the most out of them.
- Once your buds are trimmed, store them in an airtight container or a pop top jar to ensure that they stay fresh for a long time. Air and moisture are the two main reasons why buds lose their freshness. Keeping them fresh will let you use them for a really long time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Trimming Marijuana Plants With Pot Trimming Scissors
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to trimming marijuana plants with cannabis trimming shears. This list will help you get further clarity on the process of trimming.
1. WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF TRIMMING STYLES?
Growers can trim their marijuana buds in two ways once they are ready –
- Wet trimming: This is a technique for trimming your marijuana plants that is great for new growers. It’s relatively easy. With this technique, you can trim your plant while it is still wet. This can be done using ordinary scissors–although flower trimming scissors are preferable–and requires less effort on the part of the grower. The plant will also be quite supple because of the water.
- Dry trimming: Dry trimming is done when the plant is dried and hung. Compared to wet trimming, this is a slower process and requires slightly more effort. Some growers use electric bud trimming scissors for this process. Here, leaves might be stuck on the flowers, which makes the process a little more complex compared to wet trimming. Hence it is usually only recommended for advanced growers only.
Recommended: Fimming vs Topping: Which Are the Best Pruning Shears for Growing Marijuana?
What is fimming?
Fimming is a type of pruning technique where some parts of a shoot are removed in a strategic manner to encourage multiple buds to split off of one branch. Basically, for every one portion that you are ‘fimming’ off, you will be getting four new buds. This process leads to better growth and increases the overall yield of the marijuana plant. This is a high-stress trimming technique for marijuana plants and should only be done with the best trimming scissors for weed.
What is topping?
Topping is a technique where you prune your plants by cutting the plant around the top portion between the nodes. Topping ensures that more branches stem out of the main shoot off of the top, and it also helps make sure that the entire plant is getting more access to light. It is a low-stress technique, and even beginners can try and attempt this to get better yields and healthier plants.
2. WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DON’T TRIM YOUR MARIJUANA PLANT WITH QUALITY FLOWER TRIMMING SCISSORS?
You will still be able to grow and harvest your plant if you don’t trim it at all. However, you also need to know that, when you trim it with a good pair of cannabis trimming shears, you improve the overall condition of the plant. Not trimming your weed plant could lead to consequences such as lower portions of the plant not having enough access to light and, thereby, not being able to grow to their full potential. Furthermore, not trimming your plants can also lead to infections or rots in the body of the plant without you realizing it. Another disadvantage of not trimming your plant is that it will not look good and would be quite droopy or overburdened. Hence, trimming your plant is important, even though it’s not necessary.
Conclusion – Being Serious About Growing Weed Means Choosing Only the Best Trimming Scissors
We hope that this article has helped provide you with a detailed insight on what trimming is and some of the things that you need to keep in mind before you start looking for marijuana scissors. However, chances are that you came across this article while looking up “bud trimming scissors near me” for the best bud trimming scissors or the cheapest scissors for marijuana. Here, we have reviewed several products and given you a detailed insight into seven of the best options that you have when it comes to buying the best scissors for trimming bud. We hope that this helps you make a better and well-informed decision while buying marijuana scissors! Let us know in the comments below or drop us an email if there’s something we might have missed out on or if there’s something more that you would like to know about!
Happy Growing! 🙂