When it comes to grow tents, they are used by millions of growers all over the world. Small scale growers, mid-scale growers and large-scale growers – they all need tents to grow their plants in. When most growers start their journey, they prefer using a 2×2 to 4×4 tent, perhaps a combination of 2×4 or 4×2. However, as your experience increases and the number of plants you grow increase, you’ll probably need a bigger grow tent. In this article, we shall be exploring some of the best 8×8 grow tents that you can find in the markets these days. We shall be providing a complete review of these products along with a buyer’s guide followed by answers to some questions that are frequently asked.
Over the course of this article, you will get to know everything that there is to know about grow tents – and 8×8 grow tents in particular. These are a little larger than the entry-level tents and are great for a certain type of growers. We shall be discussing this in great detail over the course of this article. However, before anything else, let us first look at what a grow tent is – and how does it help the growers:
What is a Grow Tent?
We humans need space and privacy for ourselves and so do indoor plants. When growing marijuana indoors, it is best advised to have it grow in a grow tent. Having a grow tent ensures that plants are growing bigger and better and that they are getting a well-protected environment with the perfect climatic conditions which are suitable for their growth. These grow tents have a thick canvas layer on the outside and on the inside there is a highly reflective layer. The former ensures light doesn’t leak out while the latter makes sure the light inside the tent is intensified and reaches the plants from all angles.
Having a grow tent allows the growers to simulate the ideal climatic conditions where their plants can grow well and undisturbed. There are a number of benefits of using a grow tent and here’s a closer look at why you must use it:
Why is it Essential to Use a Grow Tent for Growing Indoor Marijuana?
There are a number of benefits that using a grow tent has. First of all, it offers you a privacy to grow your weed in peace. While many countries have legalized and decriminalized consumption and growth of marijuana, it still remains something that people consider a social stigma. No one wants to be seen growing weed in public and using grow tents you can actually cover your weed and contain their smell as well. The smell can be contained by using a carbon filter inside your grow tent. It is a very common element of most air ventilation systems and ensures that the smell is trapped in it and does not leak out.
However, the most important reason for using grow tents is that they allow you to build your own little ecosystem of sorts where you can provide your plants with a controlled amount of light amplified by the reflective walls of the grow tent. Lighting is very important and all parts of the plant that are above the ground need light to grow. Grow tents have reflective walls which help ensure that the light coming from the grow light gets reflected and reaches all parts of the plant. The thick outer canvas of the grow tents also makes sure that growers can grow their plants with the surity that all the light will remain inside and it will not leak out.
Some grow tents are also designed in a special way – which go the extra mile to ensure that no light leaks out of them. These grow tents have zipper which is very compact and has a light covering. Then there are also observation windows which allow the growers to quickly look at the plants progress without actually opening up the tent and having the light leak out. Grow tents also provide a protective layer around the plant which ensures that they remain safe from insects, pests and pets who might accidentally damage the plants are kept away.
Best 8×8 Grow Tents for Growing Marijuana Indoors
1. VIVOSUN 96″x96″x80″ Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent
The biggest, the most popular and perhaps the best name when it comes to the world of grow tents – Vivosun has been a top-class player in these markets. The company makes a large number of grow tents in all shapes and sizes but the one thing that remains constant is the high quality that they offer. Vivosun’s grow tents are just the perfect options for all kinds of growers regardless of their experience because they are so easy to set up. This is a large and spacious grow tent which measures 8ft x 8ft in length and breadth and measures 6.6 ft in height. The height is good enough to allow the plants to grow really tall.
There are two doors in this grow tent and each of them have an observation window which allow you to take a quick look at your plants and their progress. Basically, you don’t have to unzip the whole thing to see how your plants are doing. It makes use of tear-proof and double-stitched Oxford 600D canvas which is an extra-thick canvas to ensure that plants are getting enough light and the light stays inside the tent. There are strong metal poles which ensure that you can hang in all the lights and filters that are needed to grow weed properly. The zipper is also of a pretty high quality. There are also floor trays which make it easy for the growers to clean the tent.
- Easy to set up
- Double-stitched and tear-proof canvas
- Observation window makes it easy for growers to look at the progress of their plants
- Easy to clean thanks to floor trays
- 2-year warranty
- Zippers need to be operated carefully
2. TopoLite 96″x96″x80″ Indoor Grow Tent
Topolite is another popular tentmaker which we have seen to make top-quality tents in the past. The company also makes 8×8 grow tents which are great for growers to grow their weed in. The canvas of this grow tent is made of the same Oxford 600D cloth as the Vivosun grow tent above, which ensures that all the light remains contained inside and does not leak out of the tent. The interior layers are lined with a 96% reflective mylar layer which maximizes the effect of the grow lights. The tent measures 6.6ft in height which is a decent height for an indoor grow tent.
There are meshed ventilation slots as well from where the air can flow in and out of the tent. This makes it easier for the growers to ensure that their plants are getting fresh air. In addition to that, there’s also an observation window using which growers can look at how their plants are doing without opening up the whole thing. There are dual doors on this grow tent as well. Another great thing about the Topolite 8×8 grow tent is that growers get it in a discreet packaging which does not reveal anything about what is inside it.
- Good quality zippers – they last long!
- Sturdy frame can hold a lot of weight
- The very reflective surface on the inside
- Well ventilated grow tent
- The observation window makes life easier for growers!
- Assembling this grow tent is a little challenging for novice growers
3. Gorilla Grow Tent Lite Line 8×8 Grow Tent
Gorilla grow tents are known for their high-quality products and this is yet another great grow tent from the company. This is one of the best 8×8 grow tents that you can find in the markets, especially for growing marijuana. While you can always use it to grow other things too, marijuana is best suited for this tent. This grow tent measures 8ft x 8ft x 6.7ft, but you can buy separate extenders and increase the height to 7.7ft as well. This is a great product, especially for those who want a durable grow tent with a very sturdy frame.
The mesh filters on this grow tent are bug-resistant and ensure that your plants are getting the best quality care and ventilation. There are observation windows on this grow tent as well and the way the tent opens up makes it easier for growers to get in and manage their plants compared to other tents. The zippers on this grow tent are strong and the fabric is pretty durable as well.
- Multiple places to open it at for easier management
- Steel frames are very strong and very durable
- Bug resistant mesh windows for ventilation
- Comes with observation window for easier access
- Most growers have claimed that the zippers break very easily
Buyer’s Guide: What to Consider Before You Buy an 8×8 Grow Tent?
Now that you know which are some of the best options you have when you want to buy the best 8×8 grow tent for yourself, you also need to know what all things you must look for before you decide which one to buy. Here are some of the things you would need to consider:
- Number of Plants: How many plants will you be growing – this is something that you will need to know beforehand. If you have a large number of plants, only then you should go for an 8×8 grow tent. In case of marijuana plants, you can set up between 30 to 60 plants inside such a big grow tent so go with that mindset. If you have lesser plants than 30, maybe look for a smaller sized tent.
- Your Experience and Comfort Level: Big grow tents mean a lot of plants – and a lot of plants mean a lot of experience. If you are a beginner we strongly advice you to go for a smaller sized grow tent and lesser number of plants because they are easy to manage and give you a good learning ground.
- Size of Your Room: If you are using a grow tent which is 8x8x6.6 by height, make sure that your room is at least of that size (actually needs to be a little bigger). 8×8 is a large size and you never really realize it until you have actually set it up.
- Durability of the Tent: The grow tent that you buy needs to be durable enough to support all the weight you would be putting on it. An 8×8 grow tent is a large setup and it would mean that you are going to put in multiple lights in it. Multiple lights put a heavier weight on the tent. Get a grow tent which supports over 200lbs of weight.
- Canvas Thickness: Canvas thickness also matters a lot. Your grow tent needs to have a thick enough canvas to ensure that no light leaks out of it. It also has to be a strong material so that it does not accidentally tear off. Make sure you’ve checked it for pinhole leaks too. Oxford 600D is among one of the best materials that is used to build these grow tents.
- Zipper Quality: When it comes to damage to the grow tents, zippers are among the first thing to break off or go bad. Hence, you need to make sure that your grow tent is using a good quality zipper that will last you for a very long time and won’t give you trouble repairing it every now and then. We have tried and included all our grow tents in the list above which have a great zipper.
- Cost and Warranty: Lastly, the cost and the warranty of the tent also matter. 8×8 grow tents are expensive compared to smaller tents – but high price doesn’t always offer high quality. So make sure you’re getting a high quality product for the price you’re paying. Warranty for grow tents also differs – but the standard warranties are between one year and two years.
- Best Grow Tent Ventilation Kits
- Best Humidifier for Grow Tent & Room
- Best Multi-Chamber Grow Tents
- Best Grow Tents Near Me
- Best 4×4 Grow Tent for Growing Marijuana
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Grow Tents
Here are the answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about grow tents for growing marijuana (cannabis) plants:
1. How many plants can an 8×8 grow tent fit?
An 8×8 grow tent can fit a large number of plants but that largely depends on the technique of growth that you are using. If you’re not using SOG, SCROG or any other similar training process then you might be able to fit in about 6 rows of 6 plants each, giving you about 36 plants – some growers who have been trimming and training their plants enough have also managed to fit in a larger number of plants but then that becomes too messy and you won’t really be able to give a lot of attention to each plant. However, anywhere between 36 to 64 plants is possible to fit inside a grow tent – but remember to give them sufficient space and don’t crowd it up too much.
2. Can beginners not use 8×8 grow tents at all?
Ideally, beginners are best suited with smaller setups and should prefer using 2×2 or 4×4 grow tents to fit in their plants. This is because using an 8×8 grow tent means you have a large number of plants – between 36 to 64! Beginners usually start out with about 5 to 10 plants at the most and hence smaller grow tents are best suited for their needs.
3. How much weight should 8×8 grow tents ideally be able to carry?
Considering that an average 4×4 grow tent can carry about 110lbs of weight, mathematically speaking a minimum of 220lbs needs to be supported by 8×8 grow tents – and most of them do that too. You will need to hang grow lights, carbon filters and a lot of other equipment over here and hence it is important to ensure that your tent is able to support the weight that you are putting on it and does not end up collapsing under the weight.
4. Do all grow tents have a warranty?
A majority of the grow tents have a warranty – and usually the bigger/more expensive the tent, the higher the warranty. Almost all names on our list of grow tents come with a warranty – and the average warranty is about a year (and even two in some cases).
5. What are light leaks and why are they bad?
Light leaks happen when light starts to come out of the grow tent. They are bad because the whole point of using a grow tent is to make sure that all the light stays inside and is used for the growth and the development of the marijuana plant. However, if there are pinhole leaks taking place, this means that some of the light which should ideally be going to the plant is going out and is getting wasted. Hence it is critical to ensure there are not light leaks in your tent. If you spot any, try and fix them or let the company know.
6. Are grow tents illegal?
No, grow tents are not illegal. A large number of indoor horticulturalists like to grow their plants, flowers and vegetables indoors because of the better control they get while they do it. Hence, grow tents are very useful to them. However, if you are growing marijuana inside your grow tent – it is then that you might be doing something illegal because growing and consuming marijuana is not legal across all states in the US and most countries in the world have criminalized weed. Though the outlook towards cannabis laws is relaxing all over the world, it is best to check once if you are legally allowed to grow weed – and if so, how much.
We hope that by this point in the article you are much more aware about the best 8×8 grow tents in the markets than you were before heading into the article. All the grow tents that we have mentioned above can be bought off Amazon in just a matter of a few clicks and are all great products which will serve you for quite a long time and will help you ensure that your marijuana plants are growing bigger and better and are providing you with a higher yield. Our list includes a number of brands ranging from some familiar to some new names yet all of them are high-quality products and have been sourced after a detailed review. If you still have any more questions about grow tents you can let us know over the comments or drop us an email and we shall respond to you very soon! Till then…
…Happy Growing! 🙂