What do you do when a 4×4 grow tent is too small for you but an 8×8 grow tent is too big for you? You look for a middle ground. In this article we shall be taking a closer look at some of the best 5×5 grow tents which are just the perfect options for growers who find 4×4 tents too small but 8×8 grow tents too big. We attempt to provide you with a complete review of these grow tents where you can easily find the perfect grow tent of your choice.
5×5 is usually considered to be an unusual size for a grow tent. Most grow tents are shaped in even numbers – 2×2, 4×4, 8×8, 4×8, 2×4, 10×10, 10×12, etc. However, 5×5 grow tents are unique and are the perfect size fit between 4×4 and 8×8 grow tents. These are rarer options but these 60 inch grow tents are really good for growers as they hit just the sweet spot for their size needs. Let us first take a very quick look at what grow tents are and what are their benefits, followed by the best options you have when it comes to buying a 5×5 grow tent.
While there are a number of different brands that make 5×5 grow tents, we’ve chosen only the top four names which are trusted and the best names in the markets. There are a number of lesser known brands and home-based brands which make these tents but they are unreliable and hence we have not included them in our list. Post that we will be looking at things you need to consider before you make the purchase decision – and at last, the conclusion preceded by some FAQs. Let us begin:
What are Grow Tents? What is the Benefit of using Grow Tents?
When your plants are growing outdoors, they don’t really need any tent around them as they can grow in the natural environment. However, when you are growing them indoors, you need a grow tent which acts as a small microcosm of the outdoor environment inside which you can give your plants the right doses of all the natural factors that are needed for its growth. The temperature and lighting inside the grow tent can be different from how it is outside it – the air flow and humidity levels can also be maintained and hence these grow tents are the right way to grow your marijuana plants indoors.
In addition to this, grow tents also give your privacy. Marijuana has been legalized across most states in the US – either for medicinal or for recreational uses. However, it continues to be a taboo – especially when it comes to growing weed. Most growers tend to grow it indoors so that nobody can see them growing it and having a grow tent gives them an added layer of privacy. Grow tents are also great because they help you block the smell that comes from the marijuana plant. Weed has a very unique, strong and distinct smell to it which people can easily identify. However, using a carbon filter inside a grow tent makes it easy for growers to capture all the odor in it. Lastly, having a grow tent also helps you keep insects, pests and pets away which may otherwise damage your plants.
Best 5×5 Grow Tents for Growing Marijuana
1. VIVOSUN 60″x60″x80″ Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent
- Brand: Vivosun
- Dimensions: 60x60x80 inches
- Warranty: 2 years
Vivosun is among the hottest names when it comes to the world of growing marijuana. The company makes some of the best products for growers, and grow tents are among these products. This is a 5ft x 5ft x 6.6ft grow tent which is perfect to help your plant grow quite tall. There’s enough space vertically as well as horizontally. This grow tent makes use of a 98% reflective mylar layer to ensure that growers get a good lighting experience as all the light bounces off from the walls of the tent on to the plant – helping it grow bigger and stronger and provide higher yields.
There’s an Oxford 600D canvas covering the tent which is a thick and tear-proof material which will make sure that the light does not leak out. The tent has been made with great care and proper attention to detail has been provided to every aspect of this grow tent, including the zipper! The zipper of this grow tent is made out of a heavy-duty material and will not break easily. Thick metal poles hold the tent together – and assembling the poles to set up the tent is also quite an easy task if you follow the instructions.
Lastly, there’s also an observation window in this grow tent which makes it easy and more comfortable for the growers to look at how their plants are growing without really having to open up the entire tent. There’s also a 2-year warranty on this grow tent.
- Oxford 600D ensures all light stays in
- 98% reflective inner layer helps plants grow better
- 2-year warranty
- Easy to set up
- Zipper tends to have issues despite company claiming it to be ‘high quality’
2. Gorilla Grow Tent GGT55 Grow Tent
- Brand: Gorilla
- Dimensions: 5ft x 5ft x 6.11ft
- Warranty: One year warranty on factory defects
Gorilla’s Grow Tents have quite the reputation among the growers, especially those want to grow weed indoors. The company carries quite a bit of credibility and when you look at the grow tent you’ll know just why! First off, their poles are interconnected with the help of metal connectors which gives it a huge boost in durability. Many other grow tents tends to use plastic connectors which are weak and might break under stress. However, Gorilla’s tents are sturdier in comparison. Interestingly, you also get a free 1’ height extension kit, which can potentially raise the height of your tent to almost 8’ in total. This will make sure that your plants can grow really tall!
The tent makes use of a very high quality 1680D fiber which is thick as well as light-proof. There are mesh windows in the grow tent which help provide a proper ventilation for growers. There are also multiple spaces which ensure that ventilation kits can be set up properly. Another cool little feature in this grow tent is that there is a tool pouch inside it where you can easily put your tools for easy and quick access. Talking of quick access, there’s a quick-access observation window on the tent which allows you to see how your plants are growing without unzipping the tent and stepping in. While this is indeed a little expensive, it is still one of the best and most high-quality grow tents you can find off the web!
- Great quality canvas
- Very durable, uses metal connectors
- Quick access tool pouch
- 1’ extension kit is a huge plus point
- Observation window
3. VIPARSPECTRA 60″x60″x80″ Grow Tent
- Brand: Viparspectra
- Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 80 inches
- Warranty: 30-day return policy
Anyone who has been either researching about growing marijuana or growing marijuana is bound to have come across heaps of praises about Viparspectra. This is indeed one of the best and the most credible of brands in the world of growers – and it continues to be a hot choice for those who are planning on buying the best 5×5 grow tents for growing marijuana indoors. This is a 60” x 60” x 80” grow tent, which is the standard size for most tents. It also comes with a double-stitched canvas which can last you quite a long time. In addition, there are multiple vents of different shapes and sizes which will ensure that you can easily fit in your inline fans for proper ventilation.
This grow tent also makes use of solid metal connectors which will be great for those growers who want to make sure their tent remains sturdy. Setting it up is also very easy and can be done without any prior experience. It is a tool-free setup which does not require you to spend too much time on fixing things together. The grow tent utilizes a 100% reflective mylar layer on the inside which is perhaps the best we have on our list.
- High brand credibility
- Very durable
- Easy to set up
- 100% reflective layer
- Slow customer service
4. iPower 60″x60″x78″ Grow Tent
- Brand: iPower
- Dimensions: 60 x 60 x 78 inches
- Warranty: 1 year
Another brand that you see a lot of when it comes to growing marijuana. iPower tends to make a number of different items ranging from fans and filters to grow tents. This is a 5×5 grow tent from the company which comes with a height of 6.6ft. The exterior of the tent has quite a smooth finish and is a good-looking grow tent for growing marijuana indoors. This grow tent features a 95% reflective inner layer and comes along with a 99% sealed cloth which ensures that this tent remains light proof.
There’s also a water-resistant mylar floor tray on the bottom which makes sure that you can easily remove it and clean the tent. Setting up this grow tent is also very easy and can be done in a tool-free manner. There’s an easy-view observation window on this grow tent too, which will allow the growers to take a quick and easy look at how their plants are doing. There’s also a tool pouch inside the tent which allows you to keep all your tools handy. Lastly, this grow tent comes with a one-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Easy to assemble – tool-free installation
- Lightproof exterior cloth
- Exterior looks pretty sleek and good-looking
- Observation window makes it easy to see how plants are growing
- Warranty period could have been a little longer
Buyer’s Guide: Best Features to Look For in a Grow Tent
Now that you know which are some of the best options that you have when it comes to buying a grow tent for growing marijuana indoors, here are some factors that you need to keep in mind when you are choosing your grow tent.
- Canvas Quality – The canvas needs to be thick so that it does not easily tear off and it also needs to be light proof. The whole idea of having a thick canvas is that it will keep all the light in. The canvas also needs to be of good quality so that there are no pinhole leaks. Thicker canvases also help retain warmth.
- Inner Reflective Layer – Inner layer is usually made out of mylar between 95% to 100% reflective (the higher the better). The reflective layer helps the light bounce back on to the plants and from all angles, helping them grow in a much better manner.
- Size – The size of the tent is of great importance. The best grow tents are those which allow you to fit all your plants comfortably while also having some space for extra equipment to be kept. Always make sure to measure how much area your pots are occupying before you buy a grow tent.
- Observation Window – There needs to be an observation window on the grow tent that you are buying. All four of the best 5×5 grow tents that we have mentioned above feature this window. This window is of great help to growers as it ensures that you can look at your plants without actually needing to open and unzip your tent which can be quite a cumbersome activity.
- Ease of Setting Up – Setting up a grow tent must be an easy task too. Growers need to make sure that the tent you’re buying can be set up without tools and isn’t a complex task. It should also be sturdy, durable and last you for a long time – prefer buying tents which have metal corners instead of plastic corners.
- Floor Trays – Floor trays are a great thing. They help the growers clean up the tents easily. Working with grow tents can be quite a messy task as there is always a risk of spillage because you’re working with water and mud. Hence, having a floor tray makes your job of cleaning the tent a lot easier.
- Cost and Warranty – Cost is always important. Make sure that your grow tent is priced in at a fair price and is not too expensive. When it comes to warranty, it doesn’t take a genius to know – the longer the better.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs) About 5×5 Grow Tents
1. Who is a 5×5 grow tent meant for?
5×5 grow tents are the best options for growing marijuana indoors for those growers who need a grow tent that is somewhat bigger than a regular 2×2 and 4×4 grow tent but not as huge as an 8×8 grow tent. This is a great grow tent for growers who want to grow at slightly more than a personal-scale setup.
2. How much does a 5×5 grow tent cost?
The cost varies from tent to tent and also depends on what all you are getting along with the tent. On an average the tent alone could cost you around $150-160. However this price may vary if you are getting timers and some other goodies along with the tent.
3. Can I grow marijuana without using a grow tent?
Yes you can. There’s always the option of growing your weed out in the open or you can grow it in a grow room. Grow tents are not compulsory but they’re always a better option because they give you a much better control over your plant’s growth and development.
4. Is it legal to use grow tents for growing marijuana?
Yes, it is totally fine to use grow tents for growing weed. However, growing weed in itself might be an illegal activity so you need to confirm the legal status of growing marijuana in your area with your local law enforcement authorities.
- Best Humidifier for Grow Tent & Room
- Best Grow Tent Ventilation Kits
- Best 8×8 Grow Tents
- Best Grow Tents Near Me
- Best Multi-Chamber Grow Tents
All said and done, we hope that this article helps you gain a much better and detailed understanding about growing marijuana indoors using a grow tent. We hope that it also helps you understand grow tents in a much better and nuanced manner and that you can now identify individual aspects of the tent and judge for yourself as to which is a the best 5×5 grow tent that suits your needs! If you think there’s something we missed out on or if there’s something you’d like to know more about, do let us know in the comments section or drop us an email. Till then…
…Happy Growing! 🙂