When it comes to growing marijuana, you need to ensure that you are giving your plants a proper environment for growth. You can choose to grow outdoors, grow using greenhouses, or grow indoors. In this article, we shall be taking a detailed look at growing indoors using grow tents. For such growers, it is essential to understand which are the best grow tents in the markets and what is it that makes these grow tents really great. Over the course of this article, we shall be giving a detailed look at the top 10 best grow tent reviews – and explain the pros and cons of each of these tents which will help you make a better buying decision.
We shall also be taking a quick look at what grow tents are and why they are useful to growers who plan on growing marijuana. We shall also be looking at a buyer’s guide with some tips for growers who want to buy these tents. Lastly, before we conclude, we shall also be answering some commonly asked questions about growing marijuana which will help answer some of your doubts as well. Let us cut straight to the chase and talk about the basics of grow tents.
What are Grow Tents for Growing Marijuana?
Grow tents are basically enclosed spaces within which an artificial ‘perfect environment’ is created for marijuana plants to grow. Imagine these as big sized tents lined with a thick layer on the outside and a reflective layer on the inside, sealed shut with a zipper. Grow tents ensure that the plants can utilize the light in the maximum possible manner and grow better and have bigger yields. Grow tents also have spaces for ventilation and metal rods inside them to hang the grow lights and other important accessories needed for the growth of the plants. Let us take a closer look at some benefits of grow tents to understand them better –
Benefits of Using a Grow Tent
- Grow tents ensure that you have your privacy while growing marijuana. Your weed won’t be exposed and out in the open but hidden inside the tents.
- Grow tents protect your plants from insects, pests and pets and ensure they do not get damaged while they’re growing
- Grow tents ensure that the lighting is optimal as the light that comes out of the grow light is bounced via the reflective walls on to the plant – ensuring good lighting from all angles and a proper growth
- Grow tents also help insulate the environment and create a controlled space for the plants to grow properly and a place where they can grow undisturbed
Let us now take a detailed look at some of the best grow tents that are available online and can be ordered right away with just a few clicks!
10 Best Grow Tents Reviewed for Growing Marijuana Indoors
1. VIVOSUN 48″x24″x60″ Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent
Vivosun is among the biggest and the best names when it comes to anything related to growing marijuana indoors. The company makes some of the best products for marijuana growers and these grow tents are one of them. This is a 4ft x 2ft x 5ft grow tent, which is great for small-scale growers and for beginners who are just starting out with very few plants. It is lined with a 98% reflective mylar on the inside to ensure that the light of your grow light can be maximized and used to its most efficient. There’s a larger variant of this grow tent also.
The Oxford 600D canvas which covers the tent is extra-thick and ensure that there’s no light leakage. This is a tear-proof and double-stitched canvas which makes sure that all light stays in. Another thing that stands out about this grow tent from Vivosun is that it features high-quality zippers and sturdy metal bars and have been made with quite an attention to detail. Another advantage of this tent, which makes it among one of the best grow tents for growing marijuana is that it comes with an observation window, meaning you don’t have to open up the whole thing to check the status of your plants. There’s a tool bag to store your tools and a floor tray for easy cleaning.
- Thick canvas covering on the outside
- 98% reflective mylar ensures plants get good lighting
- High-quality zipper, observation window for easy access, floor tray for better cleaning
- Easy to set up
- Some growers found it too small
2. Hydro Plus Grow Tent Room Kit (48” x 24” x 72”)
Hydro plus is also a popular name when it comes to grow tents and many growers have said in their grow tent reviews that this is a great company. In our review, we found it to be a sturdy product. This is the 4ft x 2ft x 6ft variant of the Hydro Plus grow tent but you can buy at least 10 other size variants on the same link. Another thing to note here is that you are not getting only the grow tent, but the complete grow tent kit which includes shears, ratchets, hygro thermometer, a timer and trellis netting.
Ventilation has been taken good care of – there are rectangular vents with mesh screens which ensure sufficient airflow. The grow tent is lined on the inside with 96% reflective diamond mylar layer which makes it great for growing marijuana as you can make the most out of your grow light using this. Similar to the Vivosun grow tent above this, this grow tent from Mars Hydro also makes use of a 600D oxford cloth which makes sure all the light remains trapped inside and that there are no leaks. The rods are also sturdy and can hold the filter, the lights and other equipment with ease without the fear of a collapse.
- Complete kit for growing marijuana
- Easy to set up and use for beginners
- Sufficient ventilation with meshes as well as openings for ducts
- Quite sturdy
- No observation window
3. Apollo Horticulture 48”x24”x60” Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent
Another name when you look up for the best grow tent reviews is that of Apollo Horticulture. The company makes some of the best marijuana growing related products and grow tents are among one of them. This particular grow tent is a 4ft x 2ft x 5ft tent, which is enough for small-scale growers who are not planning on growing too many plants and just want to see how things work or want to grow some weed for personal consumption.
This is a 100% light-proof grow tent, as the company claims. The grow tent offers a thick canvas on the top and a highly reflective inner mylar layer. There are two filter straps packed with the grow tent so that you can hang your carbon filters with ease. This Apollo Horticulture tent also features easy assembly which means it is quite easy to set up and even beginners can use it without any problem. The customer care support that you get from the manufacturer is pretty good and there’s also a warranty period of 90 days!
- Basic grow tent for entry-level growers
- Easy to set up
- Sturdy and durable poles
- The inner layer is pretty reflective
- No observation window
4. iPower GLTENTM1A Hydroponic Water-Resistant Grow Tent (48” x 48” x 78”)
Those who have been growing weed for some time would have certainly heard of iPower. The company has been making a number of marijuana-growing related products over the years and grow tents are one of them. iPower makes tents of different sizes and shapes and this one measures 4ft x 4ft x 6.5ft, which is a great size for indoor growers, as it allows enough space for plants to grow tall. This is one of the best grow tent for growing marijuana for small-scale growers. There are two other size variants which you can buy using the same link. The metal poles are quite sturdy and can handle about 110lbs with ease. There’s also an observation window in this grow tent.
This is one of the most sleek-looking grow tents on our list as it comes with a very smooth fabric covering it. This is a high-quality oxford fabric which is waterproof as well as tear-proof. Furthermore, light proofing has also been taken care of. The outer canvas is really thick to make sure the light does not leak out. The zipper too, is high quality and quite tightly packed to make sure that light does not leak out of any holes in the zipper. It is very easy to set up as well and you don’t even need tools to assemble it!
- Comes with an observation window
- Has enough height to allow the plants to grow taller and give you a higher yield.
- Metal poles can hold quite a bit of weight
- Very easy to set up and assemble
- Many growers aren’t really happy with the zipper quality
5. Coolgrows 48″x48″x80″ Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent
One of the lesser known brands in this list, Coolgrows offers a grow tent which certainly punches way above its weight. This particular grow tent which we are talking about measures 4ft x 4ft x 6.6ft, and is just the perfect sized grow tent for indoor growers who want to grow a small number of plants. The best thing about this tent is the height – as it comes with a 6.6 ft height – which allows your plants to grow to their full length, this is particularly beneficial for sativa growers as these plants tend to grow taller than indica plants. There are five other size variants which you can purchase from the same link.
This grow tent is lined with a 95% reflective Mylar layer on the inside, which ensures that the grow light that you are using is utilized to its maximum possible efficiency and the plants get the best benefit out of the lighting. On the exterior it uses the Oxford 600D cloth which is a thick and tear-proof material that makes sure the light remains inside and does not leak out. The tent is easy to assemble and even beginners can set it up in a matter of minutes! There’s an observation window in it as well so that you don’t have to open the door every time you want to check the progress. The zipper is pretty smooth as well. Also, this grow tent comes with a one-year warranty!
- Easy to assemble – great for beginners
- Tall height – allows growers to grow Sativa plants with ease
- One of the best grow tents when it comes to customer support and warranty
- Oxford 600D is industry-standard – ensures light does not leak out
- Easy-access observation window
- Some growers expressed dissatisfaction over light leaking out ventilation socks
6. TopoGrow D-Door 60″X60″X78″ Indoor Grow Tent
Moving on into a somewhat larger grow tent, this is a 5ft x 5ft x 6.6ft grow tent, which is tall as well as broad allowing growers to place more plants inside it. This one comes from TopoGrow, which is another well known brand specializing in some of the best grow tents for growing marijuana. This a “D-Door” grow tent, named after the shape in which the door unzips. There are at least eight other size variants which buyers can consider from the same link. The grow tent is built on sturdy poles which can easily support the weight of the grow lights that hang on to them.
The grow tent has the Oxford fabric, making it thick and ensures minimal leaks, while the zipper is also of good quality, meaning you don’t have to be in the fear of it breaking open while opening or closing the door. The doors open from multiple sides allowing you to examine your plants carefully from all angles which is another benefit of buying this grow tent. Water-proof floor trays are also included in the package which make it easier for growers to clean the tent when needed.
- Easy access to your plants from multiple doors
- Mesh screens on ventilators for good airflow
- Zipper quality is pretty good
- Sturdy poles – no risk of the tent collapsing while you hang equipment on to it
- The frame has plastic corners and many growers consider metal corners to be better
7. VIVOSUN 2-in-1 108″x48″x80″ Mylar Reflective Grow Tent
Another product from Vivosun (and not for the last time in our list). This is a 2-in-1 grow tent from the company and is the largest grow tent in this list. This grow tent is for growers who plan on growing a lot of plants – and these plants might even be in different stages of their growth because there’s a nursery section here so that seedlings and young plants can grow there with ease. This grow tent measures 9ft in length, 4ft in width and has a height of 6.6 ft – all three dimensions are just right to store your plants properly and ensure they get a good place to grow. The nursery section has two floors, allowing you to make the most out of the space as the vertical growth of the plants isn’t really much in the early stages.
A 600D tear-proof canvas lines the grow tent on the outside while the inner layer is made out of a very reflective mylar lining which makes sure your plants are getting the best possible lighting. Furthermore, considering that this is a very large sized grow tent, the metal poles are also very sturdy and can hold twice the load than compared to a usual grow tent. The poles used in this grow tent come with a ‘special finish’ which make them easy to set up. Vivosun is one of the most trusted and popular names for marijuana growers and those who use this grow tent would know exactly why the company is so popular and so trusted.
- Two in One grow tent, with the additional two-floored chamber for seedlings
- Thick tear-proof canvas and the reflective inner layer
- Very strong metal poles to make sure more lights can be supported in this big grow tent
- Great for mid-sized growers
- Floor trays come with velcro straps which is another major benefit
- Complex to assemble
- Hard to set up the middle divider in the nursery chamber
8. Hydro Plus 60”x48”x80” Grow Tent Kit 2-in-1
Hydro Plus makes a second appearance on our list, this time with a unique two-in-one grow tent. Two in One grow tents are very rare in the markets and only a few experienced names such as Vivosun and Hydro Plus make them. This is also a large grow tent but smaller than the Vivosun grow tent above, making it an ideal choice for growers who want to buy a 2-in-1 tent with a nursery chamber but don’t want a really big tent. The grow tent measures 5ft x 4ft x 6.6ft, making it an ideal choice for small-scale growers who have size constraints and limitations.
The main chamber is 4ft x 4ft x 6.6ft while the side chambers (nursery section) measures 1ft x 4ft, giving the young plants just the right amount of space to grow in. The nursery chamber is divided in two sections like the Vivosun grow tent above. There are rectangular meshed vents which make sure that the air flows in and out of the tent properly and the plants are well-aerated. There’s a 600D oxford light-proof cloth which covers the tent as well. The grow tent makes use of heavy-duty zippers for easier and smoother operation. This is one of the best grow tents for growing marijuana for those growers looking for a tent with a nursery section.
- Comes with a nursery section but doesn’t take too much space
- Easy to set up
- Canvas is thick enough to ensure no light leaks
- The zipper is good quality and makes sure it does not break off
- Easy to maintain
- Some growers have spotted pinhole light leaks via the zipper area
9. VIPARSPECTRA 96”x48”x80”Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent
A large grow tent for growers with a large need! Viparspectra is yet another prominent name in the world of marijuana growers and this is a company which most growers have a blind faith on. This is a 8ft x 4ft x 6.6ft which will make sure you can fit in quite a lot of plants in it and the height is enough to allow them to grow properly. Visually, this is one of the finest grow tents. It has a very smooth outer fabric and dual door openings. The zipper used in this grow tent from Viparspectra is probably the best we have seen in our grow tent reviews so far – they work smoothly and make sure the light does not leak out.
There are a number of vents and openings which make sure that the ventilation is proper and your fans and filters can be accommodated properly. The metal poles used here are strong enough to support its large frame and the connectors used to hold the whole thing together are made out of metal as well. Installing it is easy and tool-free and practically anyone can set it up in a matter of minutes. Lastly, there’s also a 30-day money back warranty on this grow tent.
- Easy, tool-free setup
- Large and spacious
- Very smooth design
- Durable can hold a lot of weight
- Customer service response is a little slow
10. VIVOSUN 60″x60″x72″ Indoor Grow Tent
Last on our list but certainly not the least. One of the most unique products that you could find when looking for a grow tent! This is a tent from Vivosun which has a roof-cube design style, giving you a proper tent-like feel. Visually, the roof-cube tent is very appealing and is a great product to have. It is also spacious as it offers 5ft x 5ft x 6ft (and there’s a larger variant as well) which means it is well-suited for the needs of mid-sized growers. There’s an Oxford 600D extra-thick canvas which covers the grow tents and it is lined with a 98% reflective Mylar layer on the inside.
There’s a sturdy metal frame which holds the entire tent together and can also carry quite a bit of weight which you will be hanging upon it. The tent looks like a complex setup given the roof cube design, but it is actually quite easy to set up. There are observation windows on the grow tent which make it easy for you to check on the progress of your plants while the tent also comes with a ‘super zipper’ which makes sure it does not break off. There’s also a spill-proof floor tray on the bottom.
- Unique design
- Spacious enough for small to mid sized growers
- Can hold a lot of weight
- Easy to manage and clean
- Some growers have complained of missing pieces from the amazon delivery box
Buyer’s Guide: What to Consider Before You Buy Your Grow Tent?
Now that you know which are the 10 best grow tents in the markets, here’s a closer look at some of the things you should look for before you buy a grow tent for yourself:
- Size: You must make sure that you grow tent is big enough to fit all your plants – and also that it is not too big to occupy more space than you have! Some grow tents can be really big (10×10/12×12) and can occupy almost an entire room.
- Canvas Material: The thicker the exterior of the tent, the better it is because thicker tents make sure light does not leak out.
- Durability: Poles of the tent need to be strong – this makes sure that the tent does not collapse under its own weight when you hang grow lights or carbon filters on to it.
- Reflective Layer: The inner layer needs to be really reflective so that all the light is focused back on the plant. If your grow tent is absorbing the light it is bad for the growth of the plant.
- Observation Window and Floor Tray: Having a grow tent with these two features makes sure that you get a better experience while growing your marijuana plants. Observation windows make sure that you don’t have to unzip the whole thing to check on your plant’s progress and floor trays make it easier to clean the tents.
- Zipper Quality: While this seems something too petty – there are many growers who end up facing a lot of problems over stuck zippers or broken zippers. Make sure you’re getting a grow tent which has a high quality zipper.
- Cost: Last but not the least – grow tents can be costly. Make sure you have set a budget and stick to it while buying them.
- Best Grow Light Ballasts
- Best Multi-Chamber Grow Tents for Growing Marijuana Indoors
- Best Double Ended (DE) Grow Lights
- Best Stealth Marijuana Grow Boxes and Cabinets
- Best Inline Fan for Grow Tent and Room
- Best Dehumidifier for Grow Tent & Room
Frequently Asked Questions About Grow Tents
1. Is it legal to buy grow tents?
It is legal to buy grow tents as they can be used for growing a number of different kinds of plants and vegetables indoors. However, there might be a legal issue if you plan on growing marijuana inside the grow tents. Different places have different laws – even in places where weed is legal, you might not be allowed to grow it at home, or even if that is allowed there might be a certain limit to how much weed can be grown at home. Make sure you’re following all the legal guidelines while growing cannabis indoors.
2. How big should my grow tent be?
The grow tent size is measured in X x Y x Z – usually length x breadth x height where the length and the breadth are normally the same while the height is usually a larger number. (For example 4x4x6, 6x6x8, 8x8x12, 10x10x12 etc). When you arrange your pots you will know exactly how much space is being occupied by each plant and you can buy a grow tent accordingly. It is recommended that you leave at least 0.5 x 0.5 sq ft of area free in your grow tent for better management and for your ease of access. It is based on these calculations that you can know which will be a suitable grow tent for you.
3. Why are grow tents reflective on the inside?
Grow tents are reflective on the inside because they have a reflective layer (usually mylar – about 95-99% reflective) lined on the inside. This will help ensure that the light that comes out of the grow light can be used to its maximum possible efficiency and that the plant can benefit out of it. This layer ensures that all the light bounces back towards the plant and from all the different angles, ensuring the plant gets optimal lighting, therefore a bigger and a better growth and higher yields.
4. Which is the best type of lighting for grow tents?
When it comes to the best lighting, it is always recommended to go for LED grow lights as they have become a modern standard. Almost every grower these days has been using LED lights to ensure that they are getting good quality lighting experience as well as saving on the electricity cost. Moreover, using LED lights also ensures that the heat generated is lesser as well. Full-spectrum LED lights provide a kind of lighting which is very similar to the natural sunlight and can help sustain a plant through all the phases of its growth. Lastly, LED grow lights can last you for over 100,000 hours so at least 8 to 10 years of usage is sorted!
5. How to clean your grow tents?
Growing marijuana, or any type of plant indoors, is quite troublesome for growers because there might be a lot of cleaning up to do. There’s soil and water which causes a lot of spillage. Plant foliage might also fall off. One thing to keep in mind when you are working with grow tents is that you must always get a grow tent which has a floor tray (almost all tents these days have it). These floor trays need to be removed every few days and cleaned up. Also make sure you’re not providing too much water to your plant and that you haven’t filled the pots with soil right up to the brim. Taking care of these little things will ensure that you don’t have to put in too much effort to clean and maintain your grow tents.
We hope that this article on the best grow tent reviews has helped you understand everything that you wanted to know about the top options in the markets. We have also provided purchase links so that you can easily buy them and have them delivered right at your doorstep without any hassle. We have also tried to provide you with a fair picture by listing the pros and cons of each of these grow tents so that you know exactly what you are buying!
Grow tents are something that you MUST have when it comes to growing marijuana plants indoors and you need to ensure yours is a grow tent which will last you for long as well as aid your plant in growing stronger and healthier! Do let us know in the comments or drop us a mail if there’s anything more about grow tents that you wish to know. Till then…
…Happy Growing! 🙂