As important as elements such as water and light are, plants also require a fresh supply of air and ventilation for a proper growth. The marijuana plant, especially when you grow it indoors in a grow tent, needs a proper supply of air and ventilation – and that can be achieved with the help of inline fans. Over the course of this article, we shall be looking at some of the best inline fans for grow tents and rooms in 2020. You can easily find these grow tent fans on Amazon and purchase them right off the web to get your growing process started.
Growing marijuana is not as difficult or challenging as it sounds at first. When you start growing it, you will realize that all you need to do is to provide some basic elements such as light, air and water – and then the plant grows by itself with some basic maintenance required. In this article, we shall be focusing particularly on the ‘air’ part. The marijuana plant needs air and ventilation and here we shall be answering some important questions such as what inline fans are, and what role do they play in the growth of the plant. We shall then be looking at the 7 best inline fans for grow tents and grow rooms. This shall be followed by some frequently asked questions before we conclude. So let us begin by first addressing the basics:
Why Do Plants Need Ventilation and Air?
We humans need air for our survival without which we would choke to death. Similarly, plants also need fresh air and ventilation for a proper growth. They use it for breathing but also for another purpose – for preparing their ‘food’. Plants need oxygen as well as carbon dioxide for their survival. The plants need carbon dioxide during the day time when the sun is out so that they can get proper energy. Carbon dioxide helps in the formation of chlorophyll which is the green pigment in the plants which they also use to prepare food. On an interesting note, in the day time, plant’s suck in carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen which also keeps the earth’s oxygen balance positive.
Ventilation is crucial for plants as this is how the supply of fresh air is guaranteed otherwise they’d be inhaling the same stale oxygen and Carbon dioxide that they have exhaled. Furthermore, another important benefit of ventilation is that it dissipates heat. Plants don’t usually thrive in a hot climate and especially when you grow indoors there’s a lot of heat generated by equipment around it. Another benefit of ventilation is that it generates a smooth breeze which is good for the development of the stem. Lastly, having a good and airy ventilation system will make sure of the fact that there are no pests around which can potentially damage your plants. Pests and insects are mostly light in weight and will be flown away.
What is an Inline Fan?
Let us now talk about what inline fans are and how they can be useful for your grow rooms and your grow tents. This is something that people who grow marijuana indoors should give special attention to. When you grow weed outdoors, you are growing it in a natural environment where there’s enough sunlight, air and ventilation available. However, while growing indoors you need to recreate this environment. Grow lights can replace the natural light of the sun but to recreate the air and ventilation, you need the help of inline grow fans which help promote the entry and the exit of air inside your grow tents. These fans help you manage the airflow, humidity and temperature inside your grow tent or your grow room. Let us now head straight into the 7 of the best inline fans for grow tents in 2020 which you can buy off the internet right now!
7 Best Inline Fans for Grow Tents and Grow Rooms in 2020
Here’s a closer look at seven of the best options that you have if you are looking forward to buying an inline fan for your grow tent in 2020.
1. Hydrofarm ACDF10 Active Air Inline Fan (760 CFM, 10 inches)
- Active Air inline Duct fans offer innovation & performance at a great price.
- Active Air inline Duct fans incorporate Brushless thermally protected AC motors with sealed for life bearings (will not require any lubrication).
A great option for those buyers looking forward to getting their hands on a fan which has a good air flow and is large in size too. In fact, this is the joint-largest fan on our list (with only one other 10-inch fan featured here). This is a great fan to be set up in large grow tents and offers a lot of air flow. One thing which is really worth noticing here is that the metal housing of this inline fan is coated with ceramic, which is really great and makes it durable.
There’s also a thermally-protected AC motor which powers this fan. In addition to that there are many components of this fan which are UL-certified, meaning they are absolutely safe to use. There’s a high-quality molded impeller which is a part of this inline fan for growing marijuana. Lastly, many people wonder if this makes a lot of noise considering the size and the airflow – the answer as per most user reviews is that it does make some noise, but lesser than what you would expect from a fan which is this big in size. All in all, one of the best inline fans for grow tents for those growers who have large grow tents.
- Good for large grow tents and grow rooms
- Durable because ceramic coating on metal
- Makes minimal noise
- Too big for small scale growers.
2. VIVOSUN Inline Duct Ventilation Fan with Variable Speed Controller (203 CFM, 4 inches)
- POWERFUL AIR FLOW: Heavy hitting blower with a fan speed of 2500 RPM for an air flow of 203 CFM. Moves air through your target location efficiently for optimal ventilation.
- RUNS SMOOTH AND QUIET: Powerful fan puts out only 49 dB noise level. Fine-tuned for minimum vibration with a sturdy vegan leather cover that further muffles any sound or vibration.
Vivosun (often stylized in all caps) is one of the most popular brands when it comes to buying products related to growing marijuana. This is a great fan for growers who are looking forward to buying the best inline fans for grow rooms which are small to medium in size. This comes in with a 4-inch diameter, which is significantly smaller than the product we see above from Hydrofarm, but is perfect for the needs of small-scale growers. Owing to its small diameter, the airflow too is pretty low as it offers only 203 CFM of air to flow through it per minute.
When you look at the fan speed of this inline fan for growing marijuana, it stands in at 2500 RPM. What really impresses us about this and what truly makes it one of the best inline fans for grow tents and grow rooms in 2020 is the fact that it is very durable, thanks to the all-metal body it features. Most parts of this fan are made out of galvanized steel which makes it pretty strong and durable. Another advantage here is that these components are all factory painted, making them corrosion resistant. Lastly, it makes minimal noise as the manufacturer claims it just 48dB.
- Perfect for small sized setup
- Affordable: priced under $50
- Good fan speed
- Very durable and safe to use
- Not suited for big sized grow tents
3. VenTech IF6 Inline Fan (440 CFM, 6 inches)
Third on our list of the 7 best inline fans for grow tents and grow rooms in 2020 is the VenTech IF6. This is neither as small as the one right above it nor as big as the first name on our list. This 6-inch fan hits the sweet spot between being too big and too small and is perfect for the needs of all types of growers. While the air flow that this fan supports is that of 440 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM), the fan speed here is quite impressive as it stands in at 2730 RPM.
This fan has been designed and crafted with care as it comes with an aerodynamic body which adds on to its usefulness. Moreover, this is a very durable fan as it is mainly made out of steel with a powder coating. This ensures that the fan lasts you for a really long time. The mounting bracket comes bundled along with the product and there’s also a one-year warranty that you get with it. Indeed one of the best options for indoor growers looking forward to buying inline fans.
- Perfect for small as well as medium sized grow tents
- Durable product, thanks to the metals used
- 1-year warranty
- Some users complain of noise
4. iPower GLFANXINLINE4 Inline Fan (190 CFM, 4 inches)
- 190 CFM; Noise Level: <48dB; 110/120V standard household plug; Pre-wired 5 Feet power cord
- Quality components for quiet operation. Composite fan blades and center hub which reduces noise and vibration
iPower is a popular name among growers who grow their weed indoors. The company makes a number of equipments which help you grow better plants and inline fans are just one of them. This is a 4-inch inline fan from iPower, which offers you pretty much everything that you’d expect from it. In fact, this is such a good product that we’d go out on a limb to call it one of the best 4-inch inline fans for grow tents.
This is because it comes with an impressive airflow of 190 CFM, which is pretty good for small grow rooms. There’s a ceramic coated body which does two things – first off it makes the fan a good looking product, and secondly, it makes sure that the fan is quite durable and can last you for long. iPower also claims that there’s something called ‘permanent lubrication’ in this fan which is why it requires absolutely minimal maintenance. There’s a one-year warranty on this inline fan. The fan has a very silent operation too.
- Perfect for small grow rooms/small grow tents
- Silent operation, not noisy
- Durable and requires minimal maintenance
- 1-year warranty
- Might heat up
5. Hurricane HGC736585 Commercial-Grade Inline Fan (780 CFM, 10 inches)
- Commercial grade, high performance fans
- Made of steel with a durable powder coated finish
Here’s our second 10-inch inline fan that we hinted about earlier. This is a fan from Hurricane, which is a perfect fit for large grow rooms and large grow tents. One of the best inline fans in 2020, this offers you an impressive air flow of 780 Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) and is a product that is often chosen by professionals and commercial scale growers. If you take a closer look at the fan itself, it is made out of steel along with powder coating, which is a huge benefit for growers as this ensures durability and that it will last you for a long time.
One of the best inline fans for grow tents and grow rooms in 2020, this one comes packaged along with mounting brackets as well as a set of instructions. Now what is really impressive here is that it comes with a five year warranty (which trumps every other name on this list by quite a long shot). There’s an 8ft 120 volt power cord which comes bundled along with this fan. It is easy to set up and easy to use as well. However, you can expect a little noise owing to the sheer size of this inline fan.
- Really impressive warranty of 5 years
- Great for large grow tents and large grow rooms
- Easy to set up, beginner friendly
- Durable product, can last for years
- A little noisy
6. TerraBloom Pre-Wired Metal Duct Fan (100CFM, 4 inches)
For those buyers who are looking forward to buying a decent and cost-effective inline fan for their grow tents, this is a great option. Priced in at under $20, this grow tent inline fan offers you with an air flow of just 100 cubic feet per minute which some might consider pretty low (in fact the lowest on our list) but given the extremely low price point it is fair enough. Moreover, this is mostly used as a booster or an add-on fan and not usually as a main inline fan.
The fan features a pretty basic design but comes with a one-year warranty. If you look at the price point, the fact that you’re getting any warranty at all is a big deal. This fan is a hassle-free and easy to use device and is perhaps the best cheap inline fan for growing marijuana indoors in a grow tent.
- Good for very small scale setups
- 1-year warranty
- Low airflow
7. AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4 (205 CFM, 4 inches)
- Designed to ventilate hydroponic grow rooms, transfer heating/cooling, cool AV closets, and exhaust odors.
- Intelligent controller with temperature and humidity programming, fan speed control, timer, and alarm system.
Last but certainly not the least on our least is the T4 fan from AC Infinity’s cloudline series of fans. This too is a 4-inch inline fan but offers more than twice the airflow when compared to the TerraBloom fan right above it. This is actually a premium product and costs north of $100. It comes with a digital panel which allows you to control the humidity as well as a number of other features of the fan and gives you some live readings which are great for growers who want a very precise level of control over their marijuana plants.
You can set and adjust fan speeds, alarms and timers, etc. which makes it a pretty smart device. It is a device which is easy to set up but you need a little bit of technical know-how to operate this inline fan, making it something that would be largely preferred by experienced growers. Lastly, it features a very silent operation at just 28 dBA. Truly one of the best inline grow fans for grow tents and grow rooms if you’re willing to shell out the money for a high-quality and premium product.
- Digital control panel for setting temperature, humidity, alarms and timers
- Offers a high airflow for a 4 inch fan
- Very silent operation
- Very costly
Buyer’s Guide: How to Buy Inline Fans for Grow Tents?
Here are some factors that you need to consider before you decide which inline fan you are going to buy for your grow room or your grow tent:
- Size/Diameter: You need to know the size or the diameter of the fan that you are going to buy. You won’t really need a large sized fan for a small to medium sized grow room and the reverse isn’t true as well. Providing too much or too little air might be counterproductive for your plants’s growth.
- Airflow: You need to check how many Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) can be covered by the fan of your choosing. This is a number which is generally seen as ‘the higher the better’. But again, too much airflow would be bad for a small grow tent and too little of it will be bad for a big grow tent so buy accordingly.
- Noise: Nothing new to be said here. Fans have motors and blades and are often quite noisy. Make sure you are getting an inline fan for grow tents or grow rooms which creates as little noise as possible.
- Power Consumption: Another key factor that needs to be kept in mind as while you’ll be investing in buying a fan, you will also be paying for the electricity bills generated while running the fan. Make sure you look at the power consumption of your fan before you buy it.
- Warranty: Again, nothing new to be said here – warranty, the longer the better.
- Cost: Lastly, cost must be considered. These inline grow fans come from $20 to $220 but you need to make an informed choice on exactly which fan you are going to buy and why.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Inline Fans for Growing Marijuana
1. Is it legal to buy inline fans to grow marijuana?
Yes, buying inline fans is perfectly legal and cannot land you in any trouble. However, if you are growing marijuana you might have a problem if it is not legal to grow weed in the area that you are living in. Different nations and states have different laws when it comes to regulating the consumption, sale and growth of marijuana and it is best advised to check with your local law enforcement agencies once before you start growing weed on your own.
2. How to clean inline fans?
Simply removing the housing and cleaning the fan would be enough if you do it from time to time. If you haven’t cleaned your inline fan in quite some time, then you would need to detach it and take out the removable parts and clean each of them carefully. It is best advised to wipe at least the exterior of the fan on a time to time basis so that dirt and dust don’t enter the fan. One thing that has to be kept in mind at all times is that it contains electric mechanisms and must not be immersed in water.
3. What is a carbon filter and why is it important?
Carbon filters are an important part of ventilation kits for marijuana growers as they help trap the smell of weed that comes from the plants. Weed has a very strong and very distinct smell which can often be a ‘tell’ that someone is growing marijuana. Hence, this smell needs to be contained with the help of carbon filters.
We hope that this article on the 7 best inline fans for grow tents and grow rooms in 2020 has helped you gain a good idea about these products. We have attempted to provide you with all the basic details of what an inline fan is, and why air and ventilation are critical for the growth of the marijuana plant. We have attempted to provide an honest and fair review of each of these inline fans along with their pros and cons. Towards the ends we have also answered some frequently asked questions about these inline fans for grow tents and grow rooms. Do let us know over mail or in the comments section if there’s something that you feel we might have missed out on or if there’s something that you’d like us to talk about in the future. Till then…
Happy Growing! 🙂